Saturday, April 11, 2015

Biome Bottles, Ecosystem Learning... and Nine-Year-Olds

Add caption
 It's beginning to feel like Spring in Pennsylvania,  and with it comes our state tests and just beyond...my favorite teaching of the ENTIRE year...ecosystems and biomes.  I just LOVE nature and last year I jumped our third graders in with both feet and we made a huge mess in my room for two days and assembled fully self-contained terrestrial and aquatic biome bottles. 

This project has allowed me to connect so many things I love--big projects, my aquarium past, kids, parents, plants and photography. 

Parents from both classes of our third graders helped greatly and we got lots of donor support from aquarium plants to cherry shrimp and snails.  Coca-Cola donated 150 new 2L bottles and an awesome mom and dad team cut three per child exactly so, to assemble into what you see below.
To do this project you 'll need:


 -3 clean 2-L soda bottles, caps removed
- clean garden stone (about 2C per bottle)
 -potting soil (garden soil, no vermiculite...about
        1-1.5 C per bottle)
-sand (about 1/4 C per bottle)
-a handful of composted leaves and a stick or  
         two
- a sprinkling of grass seed (we added a few
         alyssum flower seeds for fun)
- an oxygenating aquatic plant (anacharis,
         cabomba, hygrophilia, hornwort, ludwigia
          are a few)
- THE CRITTERS:  for the terrarium: an earthworm, a few sowbugs, and a cricket
                                                                                          for the aquarium:  a snail and a cherry shrimp
NOTE: We lost many of the cherry shrimp, either because sitting on the windowsill in April is too cold, or because the nitrate load in the small amount of water is too great for shrimp.  There are no fish that are strict herbivores so I didn't want to use them.  I don't like killing animals so this year we're going to try gammarus or scuds.  They are amphipods and are much smaller, but they eat algae and I think will stand a better chance of the students understanding the balance of small ecosystem animal/plant relations well enough with this much excitement going on in their worlds.

 I make a big deal of our learning and connecting.  I ask a lot of my third graders.  They learn all about ecosystems.

Add caption
Vocabulary: producers, primary, secondary and tertiary consumers, energy source, decomposers, food web, food chain....biomes, biotic and abiotic members of their biome, ecosystem, habitat.

Student pairs create a food chain mobile of local animals and plants as an assessment.

Add caption
We go on a culminating field trip to a local Environmental Center where students participate in a stream study. They wade into the stream to collect macroinvertebrates then analyze them to see which species they have, using a guide that helps them determine health of the water for animals/plants living in the riparian zone nearest the river...and as a result the health of the watershed area.




I'd be glad to share food web, producer/consumer/decomposer worksheets, a math project and anything else with you if you comment below and include your email. 

20 comments:

  1. Hello! I teach third grade in Illinois. We are creating biome bottles this week. I introduced biomes and we are moving into greater depth with ecosystems. I would love, if you are stil willing to share, your materials for your ecosystem unit!! We will be recording each day this week, and then leaving for spring break. I am nervous about what I will find on our return to school, but at the same time, if all goes well...it will definitely be exciting to see the ecosystems being truly self-sustaining! That being said, I have to be really careful about the aquatic animal life I choose. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I'm teaching 3rd grade in Michigan and I would love to see what you've created for a math project and any other lessons you'd like to share. I'm hoping to do this with my students as part of our study of our local watershed and how plants are essential for filtering water. Thank you so much for you help and for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!!!! I was excited to see your post above. Would you be able to send me anything you have on the projects, in particular, how to create the bottle setup!!! Thanks so much wahlert_h@milfordschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited to include math. Can you send me info on math? bkirkness13@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! Can you share any worksheets?
    Weezncrew@hotmail.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Can you please share your worksheets. Thanks!
    yellowstonebiome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be working with a 3rd grade ESOL group and would like to recreate your biome. Worksheets would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you still have the worksheets and math project available, I would really love to have them. How long did your biosphere stay healthy? Thank you! angel@smeat.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love more of your ecosystem ideas. I am starting an ecosystem unit right now with my third graders. Curriculum is boring, so I'm looking for more fun and engaging ideas. I love the idea of building our own ecosystem. Do you have detailed plans for that? Thank you. My email is htakko@3riversschool.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love the worksheets. I plan on doing this with my class this month. christensens@wl.k12.in.us

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like the worksheets please tamatull@houstonisd.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, We are study Canadian biomes and I really like your mini ecosystem bottles. I'd also like to see if your worksheets would work for our study of a local estuary. Please send to slreedbc@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love any resources your could share also�� astacy@caldwellschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to take a look at the resources. Thanks. Lnguyen@slusd.us

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, im not sure if you would still be able to share, but i'd love the help if you still have the worksheet materials. I am a credential student in California and am preparing for my solo week in a 3rd grade class. I will be focusing on environments and ecosystems all week and feel this would be the cherry on top to finish off the learning sequence!
    Would guppies/cheap feeder fish work in place of shrimp?
    Do you have any more details that might help me?
    Thank You so much!
    smw581@humboldt.edu

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stacey : My son brought home an ecosystem biome similar to the pics up top from school. It HAD 2 goldfish (bottom) and an annual (top). 1 week later one of the goldfish died and the other fish died a week after that. I did everything that was informed to me by his teacher...feed the fish twice a day, change the water sparingly, water the plant when soil feels dry to the touch. Due to feeling bad/guilty about the death of the fish, I proceeded to PetCo. When I was there I was educated that a 2 litter Coke bottle isn't big enough for 1 fish, let alone 2. And that they are considered the dirtiest fish, I guess the amount of waste they produce, that the water needs to be change once every 3-4 days, and only feed them ONCE per week.
    Hope this helps and that your fish will live longer than mine did.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to use your resources over the summer for our summer program! Thank you!

    aeberlet@shastacoe.org

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello! I would LOVE to use your resources! This is amazing! Will you please send it to me at kandispugh56@gmail.com Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I teach in VT and would love to see your resources. I have tried snails in mine. saratrussell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete